Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
An easy rich and creamy comfort dish that pairs nicely with our Marsanne | Roussanne.
- 1 pound pasta of choice, cooked to al dente
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 2- 3 Tbs sage leaves, cut into ribbons, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and black pepper
- parmesan, grated for garnish
- toasted walnuts or pine nuts, optional
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and return to cooking pot. Set aside.
Sauté onion and garlic in one tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan for 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat, until the onions are tender. Add whole bay leaf, sage, and wine to the pan. Reduce wine by half, approximately 2 minutes. Stir in stock and pumpkin to combine. Continue stirring until sauce starts to bubble. Reduce heat to medium-low, and gently stir in cream. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Remove bay leaf and discard.
Pour pumpkin sauce over pasta. Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute. Garnish the pasta with lots of shaved cheese and sage leaves.
Optional: Top with toasted walnuts or pine nuts for extra texture and flavor
Serve with Bartholomew Estate Marsanne | Roussanne