Turkey Gravy with Marsanne | Roussanne
A rich, delicious gravy for a Thanksgiving turkey made with Marsanne | Roussanne white blend wine.
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or turkey broth
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- pan drippings from herb roasted turkey (optional)
- 1 cup Bartholomew Estate Marsanne Roussanne wine (plus one glass for enjoying during preparation!)
Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and fragrant. Add the sage and thyme, continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, boil 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
Allow the gravy to cool, then store the gravy base in the refrigerator.
To Finish the Gravy:
Option 1 – warm on the stove adding additional broth to thin and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce. Keep warm until serving.
Option 2 (Recommended) – Once your turkey has finished roasting, remove the turkey from the roasting pan and strain the liquid into a glass measuring cup. Place the roasting pan over two burners. Add the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the wine has reduced slightly. Reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in the gravy base. Simmer until the gravy is smooth and thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. If needed, thin the gravy with the reserve broth from the roasting pan. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.